Monday, April 9, 2012

Waking at 3:16

I work a swing shift which means every other week I work nights and sleep days. When I say morning it's really the afternoon in the real world. One of the few things I like about the shift work is when I'm sleeping in the daytime I don't set an alarm clock. Most of the time my internal alarm clock wakes me after 6 or 7 hours of sleep. This morning (afternoon) wasn't any different. My eyes opened, I rolled over and noticed the clock read "3:16". This is going to sound a little strange. God spoke to me at that moment. It's hard to explain, I didn't hear an audible voice but I felt compelled to check out some scripture. I felt led to read the 3:16 verses of the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). This would be chapter 3, verse 16 of each book. Sorry if my description is too much information (TMI), I just want you to understand where I'm at.

Matthew 3:16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him;
Cool, the baptism of Jesus. If you continue and read verse 17 it says the voice of God bellowed from heaven saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." Two things come to mind, first it reminds me of the trinity. This is the first time we hear of these three together. Second it reminds me of the what baptism symbolizes, the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. And let's not forget the receipt of the Holy Spirit.

Mark 3:16-19 He appointed the twelve: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter); James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James (to whom he gave the name Boanerges, that is, Sons of Thunder); Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.
To me, this is a reminder of the great things Jesus did with mediocre guys. You have 4 fishermen: Simon Peter, Andrew, James and John. One guy, Phillip, was listed as a friend to Simon Peter and Andrew. Matthew, the tax collector and Simon the Zealot...a political mercenary. The rest of the guys they're not sure what they did. This sure looks like a strange bunch of guys to change the world. I won't say that I'm better off than any of these guys. I can say that I'm a college educated guy working in an advanced technical field of electronics, big deal. These guys had the trump card, Jesus. He hand picked these men because He wanted disciples not fishermen or tax collectors. Jesus wants me to be a Christian that happens to work with electricity.

Luke 3:16 John (the Baptist) answered them all, saying, “I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."
This reminds me that the only way is through Jesus. Do not follow man and get caught up in smooth talking preachers.

John 3:16,17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
This is the grand daddy of them all. How many times have you been watching a sporting event and some guy with a rainbow afro is waving a poster with this on it? One thing I've noticed is they always leave off verse 17. I think verse 17 is more important than verse 16. Let me tell you why. Jesus came to save me, not condemn me. His motive for the trip wasn't to see how many He could point the finger at and send to hell. Trust me, He is the only one in history that could do this. He didn't come for that, He came so that you and I would have a chance to accept His free gift of grace. Yes He loves you and I. He loves us so much He wants to spend eternity with us and was willing to give up everything. Everything meaning a throne in heaven, countless angels to serve Him, unexplainable beauty.

God can work through an alarm clock. Some may say that's reaching and creating an illusion of God's presence. How big is your God? My God works through all creation. He can be your God too.

Peace...

totalheel

1 comment:

Jill Tucker said...

Love this!!! Before I share what struck me, I'll confirm that yes, God speaks through alarm clocks AND anything else He chooses. No question about that!!

I loved reading these verses together. When I read them an example and reminders stood out.

First Jesus was baptized and received the Holy Spirit. Then He made disciples. Yes, this is our example for all believers to follow to this day and onward.

Words of Reminder: Remember all we are given comes from God and whatever we do comes from God working through us..... we will remain unworthy of untying even the sandals on the feet of Jesus.

And finally, very similar to your perspective Tony, remember His invitation is open to all. We are simply to share the message no decide who is worthy to hear.

These verses are very insightful to read like this.

Thanks for sharing!