Sunday, April 29, 2012

Chill pills for all

This weeks blog entry is based on a communion meditation a friend of mine gave one Sunday morning. (thanks Craig)  You're going to have to use your imagination.  Picture with me in your mind I'm holding one white pill in each hand.  To the naked eye they're identical.  Each one is perfectly round and smooth.  They both look like they were made in the same facility.  There's only one major difference.  The pill in my right hand is an aspirin.  The pill in my left hand is cyanide.  One pill could save your life, the other take it.  The pill in my right hand is used worldwide to relieve aches and pains, to reduce fever, and as an anti-flammatory.  The pill in my left hand has been used to deliberately kill thousands throughout history.  Seemingly the same but huge, major differences.  The same can be said about world religions.

About a month ago I was home on a day off when the doorbell rang.  I answered the door and found two well dressed young men.  One of the men asked me if I died today where would I find myself tomorrow.  I told him Heaven.  I guess that was the right answer because both of them smiled.  I was asked if our family attended a church and what I felt my role in that church was.  I answered yes and to seek the lost and help them on the road to becoming a disciple of Christ.  Also, to live my life in a way that God would be glorified in my every action, realizing that I would fail but with God's help is very possible.  Both of their expressions changed, I guess they didn't like that answer.  After a couple more minutes of talking I finally got it out of them they were representatives for the Mormons.  Our conversation abruptly ended when I brought up my personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  Turns out they don't think everyone can develop that personal relationship; or maybe they thought I was already "brainwashed".  Only certain men that they deem "worthy" are allowed to be trained to receive revelations from God.  I don't want this to turn into something that just slams without building up too.  These two men have been caught up in a religion that limits their relationship with God, the creator.  To them Jesus was nothing more than a founder of the LDS church...sad, very sad.  The worst part is if you look at the LDS church and your typical Non-denominational church you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  Both reach out to the misfortunate.  Both teach giving tithes and offerings.  Both have beautiful buildings filled with happy beautiful people.  But, only one will allow you to have a close personal relationship with your Lord and Savior.  When you take Jesus out of the equation there's a problem.  John 14:6  "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."  Jesus IS the way, the only way to get to God.

Here's a simple test.  First, don't get caught up in a "religion".  Anything can be a religion.  Instead, you want to develop a close personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  How to do this may be a future blog entry.  Second, if any of the teaching puts someone else above Jesus...don't do it.  This only makes something or someone more important than Jesus.  Don't forget that Jesus is God in flesh.  How can anyone or anything be more important than that?  The reason Jesus came to the world was to save us from ourselves.  I know, I know...there's alot more that I haven't touched on.  I want you to understand that without Jesus we wouldn't stand a chance.  The world would just chew us up and spit us out, then go to the next poor sap.  1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness,”  God know's the way of man and unfortunately people are going to try and profit using God.  Check things with God's word.  If something sounds too good too be true then maybe it is.  If something smells kind of fishy then maybe that's telling you something.  We all have to be very careful because the world is getting better at making things sound biblical and churchy. God's word has stood the test of time, it's perfect and true and really all we need.  I use a webpage to help me do this, biblegateway.com .

I thought it might be appropriate to close with the final words written in the book of Revelation.  This is Revelation 22:18-21  I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.   He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!  The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all.  Amen.  This may or may not apply to just the book of Revelation, but, check this out.  Deuteronomy 4:2 "Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you."    Sorry Joseph Smith, sorry Sun Myung Moon,  sorry Dalai Lama and this last one may get me in trouble...sorry Pope.  (the Pope is still alive...right?) 

I feel like I'm leaving this weeks entry open and unfinished.  I guess I hope that  I've said something to light a small spark in you to dig a little deeper in God's word.  Feel free to comment, maybe drop me an idea.  Trust me, you won't hurt my feelings if you don't like what I've said.

Peace...

totalheel 

No comments: