Sunday, April 1, 2012

Beware of Angels

Before I start, I gotta tell you this week's entry might get some people mad at me.

Hollywood has given us a confused understanding of angels and ghosts from helping us understand the meaning of Christmas to making pottery. It's a common misconception that after we die we are issued wings while standing in heaven's check-in line. Well, I do believe we'll be able to fly but without the assistance of wings. I believe we will experience amazing, wondrous and unexplainable things. The next thing they'd have us believe is that we're assigned someone, somewhere to protect. I don't know about you, but when I die I don't want a job...I want to enjoy being in the presence of God.

There's only one ghost I believe in, the Holy Ghost. I'm sorry but I never have and probably never will believe in ghosts. Ghosts are something people concocted to explain things they deem unexplainable. I do believe in demons though because the bible tells me they are real. Oh boy, here we go throwing out the holy lingo again. Throughout the gospels, Jesus drives demons out of people. The demons even recognize Him and beg Him to be merciful (Matthew 8:28-34). That's a strange behavior for something with such evil intent. Demons are actually fallen angels driven out of heaven by God after a failed uprising by Lucifer. Revelation 12:9 "And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world— he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him." Thanks to Hollywood this sounds a little far fetched and hard to believe, but it's true. I don't know if demons want to make Grandmas dress fly around or slam doors. I do know they love to possess people and cause all kinds of chaos. Even today, the Vatican teaches a class on Demonic Exorcism, real stuff.

Angels are the touchy subject too. Everyone wants to believe that Uncle Biff (random name) is now this great angel sent back to protect us from stepping in front of a speeding FedEx van. Angels are God's work force, created to solely serve Him. These beings have no gender, no soul and have no faith. They are like an army with different ranks from general down to foot soldiers. Some exist for the sole purpose of praising God all the time.
1.Seraphim constantly praise God and His creation.
2.Cherubim protect the throne of God.
3.Archangels are the highest ranking angels, it means 'chief angel'.
4.Angels are the lowest ranking angels, and the closest to humankind. They are also the most recognized. They are God’s messengers and also serve as intercessors.
Angels are used throughout God's word, announcing the arrival of Jesus (Luke 2:8-14), wrestling with Jacob (Genesis 32:22-32) and even to wipe out a generation (Exodus 12). To this day, the Jewish people still celebrate God sparing their lives when the death angel "passed over" their homes. I'll be honest with you, I wouldn't want to be an angel. These guys are like God's hitmen. My wife said that if an angel came to our door, she'd be terrified and wish she could run the other way. Yes, angels protect us and yes, angels are among us. However, we will never become angels. This is something I've struggled with myself. On July 8, 1995 God called my mom home, she lost her earthly battle with cancer and gained a heavenly home. I still think about her about every day. Sometimes in a crowd I hear her voice or smell her perfume. I know she's not really here but I still feel like she's with me. I look at it this way...why would I want to take her away from heavenly perfection and bring her back to protect me?

Like I said before, these are touchy subjects that Hollywood has graciously clouded and confused for us. Please take the time to explore God's word on these subjects.

Peace...

totalheel

No comments: