Friday, June 15, 2012

Mr. Modlin lives in Virginia

A couple weeks ago I wrote about the most wonderful women to ever walk the planet, my mom.  Since mom is now in Heaven my wife of nearly 22 years has graciously stepped in.  Well...I don't want to get into reproduction, but, it does take two to make a family.  This week I want to tell you a little about my dad.  There's so much I could say about the man that helped me develop this flawless sense of humor, taught me the importance in relationships and most importantly, serving God. 

To say my dad knows all about hard work is an understatement.  In High School dad was voted "Most Likely to Succeed".  After school he ventured to Atlanta Christian College where he met a petite southern belle named Mary Dale Mabry.  Circumstances led him to join the Army and serve in Korea.  In July of 1960 he and mom were married.  If I thought about it hard enough I might be able to come up with all the different jobs dad has held.  Those jobs range from Policeman to produce manager to his now favorite job...truck stop attendant.  Dad has officially retired from 2 careers and is still going strong.  I can tell you if it weren't for dad I wouldn't have spoken to the Navy recruiter, and you already know that story.  Dad taught me that hard work pays off.  He taught me that people should be treated with dignity and respect and that the next person you meet will be the most important person you meet that day.  Relationship, relationship, relationship.  I forgot to mention that dad served as a Deacon and for a couple years he and mom travelled and sang together.

I've got to share this story with you.  During my High School years dad worked in a different city and would come home on the weekends.  It made things a little rough but we adapted and survived.  During my Junior year dad took time off of work to visit the recruiters offices with me.  We actually filled out and signed papers that day.  He was as excited about living on a Nuclear Submarine and working on Nuclear Missiles as I was.  I reported to boot camp in July of '85 then went to Sub school for a couple months followed by my "C" school which taught me how to service Missiles (I know...sweet!).  I had been in the military for nearly 2 years before reporting to my first permanent duty station.  Seeing I was a little nervous and anxious dad took time off and drove with me to Charleston, SC.  The first thing we did when arriving to Charleston was we found a church.  Dad knew that would help me more than anything to have a church family around me, he was right.  Not too long after that I was watching the Greyhound bus pull out taking dad back to Waynesboro.  Mission accomplished.

I think dad's classmates nailed it on the head.  Dad was very successful.  All three sons involved in churches, one as a full time minister.  Success isn't measured with money or promotions.  True success happens in the home. 

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  This is the scripture I think of when talking about my dad.

Love ya dad!
Peace...

totalheel

1 comment:

BAMboozle said...

This post is great! and SO true. Uncle Mr. Modlin is a great man and one thing that always stuck out about him to me, even though we didn't see each other that much was/is that he loved Mary SO SO SO much. Last time I saw him he cried when I gave him a hug and when I asked him why he said "I'm just so proud of you..."