Wednesday, June 27, 2012

From the mouths of Babes.

I realize it's Wednesday evening and I haven't posted anything in a week and a half.  Last week I spent the whole week with 128 middle school students.  You'd think God would speak to me to write about the 27 decisions to accept Christ, or maybe the fact that we haven't seen those kind of numbers in almost 10 years.  I could write about how God spoke through the kids when they gave over $1800 towards the mission.  So many great and wonderful things happened, so many moments God showed His face...but that wasn't what God laid on my heart.  God has never been about numbers, well, I take that back.  One number comes to mind...ALL.  God wants all to hear about Him, to understand Him and to accept Him as their Lord and Savior. 

Last Wednesday night we were priviledged to hear the word of God from Braden Etcheson.  Braden explained good and bad in a way that made complete sense to everyone.  I know this may sound silly, everyone knows about good and bad.  Think about it this way, picture a bold line drawn down the center of your life.  On the right you have beautiful clear blue water.  The water is so pristine you can see the bottom for what seems to be miles.  The sand leading to the waters is perfect, but not necessary.  On the left you have a beautiful beach leading to water that doesn't look that bad.  The deeper you go into this water it gets darker and darker till your so deep you can't escape.  The two bodies of water describe the majority of lives today.  Some days we're in a "spiritual" mood and dip out toes in the blue water.  Sometimes this leads to wading in to our waist.  Other days we don't want any part of God and find ourselves wandering in the dark waters.  What God wants is our all, He wants us to dive in the deep end of the clear blue waters.  Totally immersed in God's word and in His service.  If you want to know God's viewpoint on fence walking then read this.  Revelation 3 14-22  “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation. ‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot!   So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.  For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.   I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see.  Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.  Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.  He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’” 
Don't be caught on the fence, pick a side...preferably God's side and give it your all.

This evening Tina and I were invited to a worship session.  We praised God with a trio worship band from Quincy, Illinois.  The frontman was Brandon Jones, a young man we've known since he was a pre-K.  We learned new praise songs, heard God's word read by middle schoolers and was given a message from a young man who had never spoken in public before.  It was amazing.  God didn't speak, he screamed.  Let me tell you a quick story about Brandon.  It was August of 1991, I had just arrived in Indiana after 6 years of the Navy.  Tina signed us up to lead a class in the church VBS program.  I can't tell you how many kids were in that class but I can tell you of one young 4 year old.  This little man had an answer for everything, the wrong one.  He had so much energy he never sat down, and loved to hide.  After the first night she and I had to have a word with his parents.  The advice we got from his dad was "thump him on the head and sit on him".  Thankfully it never got bad enough to thump and sit.  Brandon was one of those kids you couldn't help but love.  God took hold of this young man and is doing great things through him. 

I got schooled from the students and I loved it.  God spoke to me through 2 young men that I had the priviledge of teaching years ago.  Training up the next generation is our responsibility.  Thank you Jesus for the opportunity.

Go gettum guys...

Peace...

totalheel



No comments: