Sunday, May 13, 2012

What do you get a mom that has everything?

I know that sounds like the statement of an arrogant man.  What else could a mother need when she has a son like me?  I'm going to get a little personal with you...no not that way.  Listen up, Mother's Day used to be my least favorite celebrated holiday.  Let me share a little about my family history.  July 8, 1995, one of the worst days I've ever experienced in my life.  On that day my mom lost her battle with brain cancer.  On that day Mother's Day lost all meaning.  Mother's day all of a sudden was just another day.  As horrible as that sounds, here's the worst part.  I was pretty mad at God after this.  28 year olds shouldn't be attending their mothers funerals.  What greater purpose could this have?  Mom was the gell that held the family together.  I could count on her calling me at least once a week. 

I remember calling her one night from the Navy barracks with what I thought was a major problem.  I had just began taking classes to learn my new job in the Navy.  The class was called, get this, Strategic Weapons Systems Electronics Mathmatics.  In this 2 week class they took you from 1+1 to calculus.  Uncle Sam wasn't very forgiving either.  If you failed this class you were sent to the fleet.  This was the Navy's way of weeding out guys they didn't want to further invest the education in.  That night on the phone mom convinced me to stick it out, hang in there she said, it'll all work out...and it did.  I learned so many lessons from that lady.  This small town Virginia boy got to experience things that most people only see in movies all because mom convinced me I could.  I think she got that idea from this verse...Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  

Mom was the Sunday School director, the VBS coordinator, the small group leader (when there wasn't such a thing).  She had a beautiful saprano voice that inspired me to sing.  Mark Lowry, a Christian comedian/singer, said it best.  He had a major drug problem growing up.  When the church doors were open, his mom drug him there...my mom was that way too.  She instilled in us the foundation and desire to grow and learn more of God's word daily.  Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."  Mom lived this, as a parent today I try to also.  I'm not Super Christian, but I do love serving in the church.  Singing on the praise team, helping in the junior high, fix-it things around the building.  Mom taught me and showed me through her life how to serve.

It took me several years to understand that my mom still deserved a present on Mothers Day.  You can only give so many figurines and cards that play happy mom songs.  Could you imagine the postage on a card to Heaven?  Well, really there's just one present I can still give her.  A present that even now could bring joy to her...a legacy.  I'm not sure how timing works in Heaven.  I don't know exactly how or when we'll see Jesus or loved ones again.  But I do know mom would love to see her children there and her grandchildren and her great-grandchildren...and so on.  Tina and I have 2 beautiful girls that I'm very proud of.  This past summer I was priviledged to baptise my oldest.  On Sunday mornings she helps out with the childrens classes. My youngest one anxiously listens to bible stories each night.  Sometimes she'll surprise me with a recap of what we talked about days before.  God is so good!

I know what you're thinking, 'how about your dad'?  His day is coming, he and mom made a great team.  Every once in a while I call out to mom.  I know she can't hear me, but maybe...just maybe, God will relay a message to her and let her know I can't wait to see her again.  Happy Mother's Day Mom!

Peace...

totalheel

 

No comments: