Sunday, March 11, 2012

The End...or is it?

I'm really concerned about my 401K, not so much the amount available when I finally retire, but will I get the chance to spend it. Unless you've lived in a cave for the last 10 years you know the end of the world is near. According to the Mayan calendar all we know ends December 21, 2012...dang it, I won't be retired by then. Isn't that the way things are though, you work hard, you try to save and do what you think is the right thing and some group of people that became extinct 2,912 years ago ruin it. Are you kidding me? In less than a year everything we know will be gone? No more fried shrimp or internet; no more Kardashians to entertain us with their inability to survive in the real world. Good thing we won't be around to be too disappointed by this turn of events. I've always heard you can't take it with you so I guess I have two choices, pull all of my money out and party like a rock star or let it ride and burn up with the rest of the useless 401's. Hold on Tex...don't get too jumpy. How did they come to this conclusion? Well, that's the last day of their calendar so it has to be when time ends. What if the guy ran out of paper or he got carpal tunnel from writing so much? I can come up with several reason to end a calendar that doesn't include the destruction of mankind. How far out do you need a calendar to go? The last time I checked my calendar in the kitchen ends December 31st...Oh no! Time to buy another calendar. Did you know this wasn't the first 'End of Times" prediction? I guess this story has been the one everyone has been talking about for several years. There have been over 200 recorded instances predicting the end of times.

I'm sure you've heard of the Hopi Indians. These guys believe civilization has been destroyed 3 times, first by fire, second by ice and the third by a flood. My first thought, where did the new Hopi's come from and how could they read the previous Hopi writing to know what happened to Grandpa? How long did it take the new Hopi's to realize, "Hey, we're Hopi and I think the world just got destroyed.?" I know I make it sound ridiculous but how did they know how to read the previous language? Supposedly these stories were handed down by word of mouth. By who? I thought ALL of civilization was destroyed. They even have a rock with prophetic images engraved into it, Prophecy Rock it's called. On this rock you see what looks like a guy chasing a train with 4 stick figures riding on top with another in front running for his life. Sorry, to me this looks like they were predicting the arrival of the locomotive system which would be a very good prediction. I couldn't find the actual date when they believe this will happen, looks like it'll happen over time.

This last guy is the Grandaddy of them all, Nostradamus. He claimed the world will come to an end in 3797 due to burning stones from the heavens. Nostradamus has made over 1,000 predictions and about half of them have come true. Half? Well, that's .500, in the Major League that'll get you a batting title; shooting this in the NBA you'll win the MVP. Winning half the time for some sports teams would definately be an improvement. In the world of predictions and prophets, this isn't good. Old Testament times wasn't very forgiving to prophets, you miss too many and it's curtains. Deuteronomy 18:20 says this 'But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.' That's kind of how they judged you back then, if you got it wrong it must not have been from God. Let me sum this up. This guy was born in 1503 and died in 1566, he made about 1,000 predictions that only about half have supposedely come true...in 500 years. Did you catch that last part? 500 years for only half and most of them are pretty vague. Don't these guys have term limits? My Grandmothers hair stylists can do that. If you ask me I think Nostradomus needs to get credit for inventing dry ice. You've seen the videos, he sits there stares at a smoking crock and comes up with this stuff. Coming up with failing predictions bad, smoking crock actually kind of cool. I do think Nostradamus was an intelligent guy, he definetely thought out of the box.

What does the Bible say? I've been trying to keep this as simple as possible to understand but here's where it gets weird. In a previous post I wrote about the trinity, God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. These three are one in the same. God is so amazing, so powerful and so able to do anything that only He knows when time will end. He is able to know the end without Jesus knowing the day. Jesus Is God!! How is this possible? (my head is hurting) I can't explain that one but here's what it says in the Bible. Mark 13: 32, 33 “But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come." I can't explain it any better than that.

Peace...

totalheel

No comments: